RE: Modifications to hist.m

From: Lippert, Ross A.
Subject: RE: Modifications to hist.m
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:45:57 -0500

I was recently helping someone at work here out with a faster
hist.  This one is simpler, but perhaps it is broken in some way
that others here will not want to use it.

I did something like this:
  if (size(y,1) == 1)
     [ans,I] = sort([y cutoff -inf]);
  elseif (size(y,2) == 1)
     [ans,I] = sort([y' cutoff -inf]);
  else
     error("y must be a row or vector");
  endif

  freq = diff(find(I > length(y)))-1;
where cutoff is computed just as it was computed before and y is the given
data.  There are some +/- inf issues which may be problematic with the above
so perhaps one could instead do:
   [ans,I] = sort([y cutoff]);
   freq = diff( [0 find(I > length(y))]  ) - 1;
and get the same effect.

I figured that the extra log(n) of a C sort isn't really consequential.

-r