Re: A group in Norway starts to develop support for multidimensional arr

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: A group in Norway starts to develop support for multidimensional arrays in Octave.
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:53:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, John W. Eaton wrote:
> Related to all this, I've been thinking about a complete overhaul of
> the way matrix objects are handled in Octave.  For example, instead of
> having many different octave_value types to support various types of
> matrix objects, we could have one for all matrix-like objects.  But
> this will be a lot more work, and I'm not sure whether it is really
> feasible at this point.  It could break a lot of code.  OTOH, if this
> is something that would improve and simplify the internals of Octave,
> then it will only break more code if the change is delayed.

John,

I propose that, instead of making any large changes now, that you
release octave 2.2 or 3.0 as soon as possible. This is important
because 2.0 is essentially unsupported now, and people are
reluctant to use an unstable (2.1) version.

The recent releases have been very stable. Adding a few features
from octave-forge, and releasing a 2.2pre series now would get
a lot of testers to flush out remaining bugs.

This will allow an overhall of matrix objects to be under less
time pressure.

Andy