Re: Octave 2.2.x Was: A group in Norway ...

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: Octave 2.2.x Was: A group in Norway ...
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:13:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, John W. Eaton wrote:

> | Which brings back the question: How far away (realistically) is 3.0?
>
> I'm no good at estimating these kinds of things, but I'd guess more
> than 6 months, maybe a year, to do all the things on the list.
>
> So it probably makes sense to come up with some way to drop the 2.0.x
> code (which is quite ancient now) without putting everyone on the
> bleeding edge.
>
> Which would be better:  a "stable" release or just going with the
> "works pretty well" model?

I propose a stable release. People are much more comfortable with it.
Since there are a few interesting things happening this summer (Nothern
Hemisphere), I propose that a 2.2pre series be begun in September
with whatever is ready at that time.

A 2.2pre should get quite a few more testers to try things out. Once
the bug reports start to dwindle, then 2.2.0 could be announced.
Perhaps after a few releases of 2.2.x (with again more testers),
you could fork of 2.3.0 and hand it over to me.

Andy