Re: Help needed for semidef-oct and g++ 3.3

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Help needed for semidef-oct and g++ 3.3
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 20:28:37 -0500

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 10:14:34PM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> semidef-oct is a small package ported to Octave by A.S. Hodel based on the
> semidef package by Lieven Vandenberghe and Stephen Boyd. I have maintained
> this for Debian since 1998.  The Octave code is fairly g++-2.9*-centric.
> A.S. Hodel has not upgraded it, and neither have I for the usual lame
> excuses of a) having become too rustic with respect to newer C++ and
> Octave's internals and b) not having that much time for Octave coding in
> general. You know, real life, job, kids, other projects ....
>
> Now, Debian has this sensible rule of requiring that things actually work,
> and semidef-oct doesn't as it is not even compilable under g++-3.3.  So
> unless it gets fixed, it will be nixed.
>
> The changes will be trivial to anyone familiar with Octave's c++ structure
> --- which is why I am asking for the small favour here.  Could someone
> please port it?  Else it'll get thrown out of Debian.
>
> You can find the original tarball in the directory
> http://http.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/semidef-oct/
> along with the current packages.  If you can get
>       cd SRC; make -f ../debian/Makefile sp.oct
> to work, I would be delighted to incorporate your patch with a big fat thank
> you that will signal your coding provesse for times to come...

The price goes, as so often on this list, to John Eaton who helped me with a
500+ line patch. The corrected semifdef-oct packaged has just been uploaded,
and Debian 'unstable' users should see octave-sp_2.2-13 in due course in
they apt-get'able archives.

Thanks, John!

Dirk

--
Don't drink and derive. Alcohol and analysis don't mix.