RE: Suggestion: OpenOffice + Octave

From: Mike
Subject: RE: Suggestion: OpenOffice + Octave
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 09:53:47 -0500

Dirk,

1) I need something my engineering profs can use.
2) I need something my old bosses can use.

The OS has to, for now, be windows as well as *nix.
It has to run well on windows.
They do heavy-duty cad with AutoCAD and Solidworks.
They use cosmos, photoshop... and others.
Their primary box is win-tel.
That nukes gnome-exclusive software.

If its 1)free, 2)spreadsheet, and 3)octave then I can support that my old
bosses will use it.
If its something they use/love and is growing in engineering circles then I
can submit to the MCCD that they use it.
(FTSE ~200,000 all windows)
If next-generation engineers are being taught on your spreadsheet-Octave
instead of
on Excel and Matlab, then its a long-term victory for open-source.

You will have made a better tool than is available and a better tool than
MS can make, because its generalist development has put it into a
compatibility box.

Personally I intend to explore the gnumeric sheet with the python bindings.
After I learn some more about using python bindings.

-mike