Shared memory interface to Octave

Subject: Shared memory interface to Octave
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2003 00:55:41 -0700

Since I am new to the maintainer list, hello to all before I get into my
questions.

I have used Octave off and on through college (intermixed with Matlab).  I have
always thought it would be good to have a GUI interface and have read a some of
the mailinglist archives about peoples' suggestions on how to do it.  After
reading through all of these, and drawing on a little past experience, I think
that using the shared memory functions shmget, shmat, shmdt, and shmctl would be
an ideal way of implementing the communications between the GUI and the octave
core.

Because of this, I am asking for a quick rundown on how console I/O is
implemented in Octave.  I could wade through the sources, but I feel it would be
beneficial if I could get a 1 page summary from someone who has done the
development.  This will make my wading that much more productive.

Back to the topic of what I am trying to do, I used the octave-parallel socket
interface from octave-forge as a model and implemented a pretty rudimentary
passing of commands and results via shared memory.  Many commands work, but
other crap out on me.  My sources are broken right now, so once I get them
working again, I will probably post some of the erro output for help on
determining where the problem is.
Another benefit of using the shared memory is that on clusters that use a shared
memory model, as far as I can tell, this method should work as a means of using
Octave in a distributed manner an be much faster than using sockets.

I would like to know other poeples suggestions, comments, and criticisms on my
plan.  I have used shared memory some in a few application I have written
before, but am by no means and expert.

John Swensen
address@hidden