Re: Shared memory interface to Octave

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: Shared memory interface to Octave
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2003 11:15:02 +1100 (EST)

I don't see why you need to use shared memory? Surely opening a pipe
connection between the Octave's standard input and your control
stream, and another one to its standard output suffices to communicate
between you GUI process and the octave process.

The pipe construct can be easily converted to a distributed memory
model by means of ssh or similar ilk. Pipes are also far easier to
program than shared memory segments.

                                        Cheers

address@hidden wrote:

> Since I am new to the maintainer list, hello to all before I get into my
> questions.
>
> I have used Octave off and on through college (intermixed with Matlab).  I
> have
> always thought it would be good to have a GUI interface and have read a some
> of
> the mailinglist archives about peoples' suggestions on how to do it.  After
> reading through all of these, and drawing on a little past experience, I think
> that using the shared memory functions shmget, shmat, shmdt, and shmctl would
> be
> an ideal way of implementing the communications between the GUI and the
> octave core.
>
> Because of this, I am asking for a quick rundown on how console I/O is
> implemented in Octave.  I could wade through the sources, but I feel it would
> be
> beneficial if I could get a 1 page summary from someone who has done the
> development.  This will make my wading that much more productive.
>
> Back to the topic of what I am trying to do, I used the octave-parallel socket
> interface from octave-forge as a model and implemented a pretty rudimentary
> passing of commands and results via shared memory.  Many commands work, but
> other crap out on me.  My sources are broken right now, so once I get them
> working again, I will probably post some of the erro output for help on
> determining where the problem is.
> Another benefit of using the shared memory is that on clusters that use a
> shared
> memory model, as far as I can tell, this method should work as a means of
> using
> Octave in a distributed manner an be much faster than using sockets.
>
> I would like to know other poeples suggestions, comments, and criticisms on my
> plan.  I have used shared memory some in a few application I have written
> before, but am by no means and expert.
>
> John Swensen
> address@hidden

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
Australia                                address@hidden