Re: randn benchmarks

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: randn benchmarks
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 10:39:59 +0100

I don't want more precision, just that the cycle time of the random
integer generator in the zigurat code is 32 bit and thus repeats in
2^32. I see now that only this has to be replaced in the code to
get a longer repetition time. In fact we could even use the Mersenne
Twister code here...

D.

According to Paul Kienzle <address@hidden> (on 01/23/04):

> On Jan 23, 2004, at 7:36 AM, David Bateman wrote:
> >... In any case, the ziggurat code in
> >this paper is for 2^32 bit seeds, which is a bit short for my liking.
> >I'd prefer to target a 64 bit seed as does matlab, so a possible
> >solution is just to rewrite the code from the paper for a 64 bit
> >seed..
>
> Do you want to generate 53 bits of precision in rand() or are you
> happy with 32 bit?  It will of course slow down the code by almost
> a factor of two.
>
> Paul Kienzle
> address@hidden

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary