Octave Compiler

From: Jens Ruecknagel
Subject: Octave Compiler
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2004 18:15:52 +0100

To whom in concerns,

As a student research project I want to develop an Octave to C++ compiler.

About me:
My name is Jens Ruecknagel. I am a student at Technical University of Ilmenau, Germany in the course computer science in my 4th and final year. After finishing my degree I am going to be am diploma computer scientist (comparable to a master degree). I already have some experience in developing programming languages.

My project:
I am trying to adapt the Lex/Yacc grammar of Octave to fit the needs of an Octave to C++ compiler. And I am developing a backend to generate C++ code.

I am just starting to work on this project, therefore I am still “reading” the Octave code to find out which parts of the Octave project I can use.

I think, I can use the Lex/Yacc parser which (I suppose) constructs an abstract syntax tree which then will be feed to the my compilers backend. I’m still thinking about which numerical libs the generated code shall depend on – I’ll probably use liboctave first and maybe replace it later.

So I hope you answer some questions about Octave:

Do you have any additional documentation on the Octave source code?
On which Octave version should the compiler be based on? I was thinking I use 2.1.50.
Can you give me some hints about my task?

May I bother you again, if I run into problems? (I am sure there will be some problems :-))

Tanks a lot,

Jens Ruecknagel