Re: [Patch] Shared build on OS X

From: Per Persson
Subject: Re: [Patch] Shared build on OS X
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:52:19 +0100

On Feb 15, 2004, at 06:22, Paul Kienzle wrote:

./configure --enable-shared --enable-dl --without-hdf5

Can you use --disable-static as well?

Yes.

Why --without-hdf5?
Is it unavailable for 10.3, or do you just not have it installed?

No and no. It causes problems since it is missing from the link line (as you mentioned in another thread).
I disabled it to avoid debugging that for the moment.
Might have been fixed by jwe's latest additions, trying it right now.

I noticed a while ago that oct files are very large,
presumably because they each link in the entire libstdc++.
Is there any magic we can use to turn a standard
libstdc++.a in libstdc++.dylib and save us several hundred
kilobytes per octave file?

You could probably create a dummy .dylib and link in libstdc++.a using -load_all flag (can't remember the exact name).
I don't know what kind of evil might arise from such an approach...

Compiling octave-forge will probably expose the remaining issues.

I would appreciate an easy to install binary that I can
point my users to which provides octave, octave-forge
and gnuplot.  Separate binaries for 10.2 and 10.3
if necessary.  Preferably in a way that does not require
additional infrastructure such as fink or darwinports.
Hosting it beside the windows package at octave-forge
is okay unless there is some more standard place that
users go to find software.  Any idea how difficult it would
be to set up such a package?

Fairly easy. Apple ships their standard installer tool (PackageMaker) along with the rest of the stuff. Create a package for each of octave, gnuplot etc. and then create a meta-package to handle them all.
O'Reilly had an introductory article on the subject:
http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2003/09/16/packagemaker.html

Apple's official docs:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/ SoftwareDistribution/index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/10000145i

/Per