Octave compiler

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Octave compiler
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2004 16:46:28 +0100

JD and Jens,

Have you given any thought yet as to how you will do the C++ generation? I suppose that a first order approach would be, in essence, to output the octave evaluator code. However, I suspect that the performance improvement over that of the interpreter/evaluator will not be as impressive as writing .oct files "by hand". Therefore, the trick is going to be to improve on the evaluator, particularly where type identification, indirect referencing and bound checking is concerned. Once you do that, the strategy you have adopted should allow to similarly improve octave's evaluator, should it not?

Paul Thomas