Re: CAT speedup

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: CAT speedup
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:51:41 +0100

According to Petter Risholm <address@hidden> (on 03/01/04):
> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, David Bateman wrote:
>
> > Petter,
> >
> > In the quick reading of this patch, If I've understood it correctly,
> > the classes like Matrix, etc now have a ::cat function that can be
> > used directly. If this is true then there is nothing to stop me also
> > using this function with user types?
>
> Well, define directly :) You can implement ::cat in you own user types,
> and instantiate cat_ra with the appropriate data type. But you will also
> need the framework for calling ::cat which is in Fcat in data.cc. That is
> you could either add to the existing user types which cat works for today,
> or you can make your own function like cat_sparse which follows the
> pattern defined in Fcat.
>
> We would like to have a way of registering the datatypes that should be
> used with cat, so that we don't have to hardcode it for all types in Fcat.
> Unfortunately we are not there yet. The same goes for [].

Yeah, it was basically this registration that I was talking about. In this
case if ::cat was part of octave_base and then Fcat wouldn't need to be
adapted for each new type.

Of course octave_base would just give the nice error message that ::cat has
not been implemeneted for this type. But, its presence in octave_base, then
makes it easily overloadable.

Cheers
D.

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary