Re: CAT speedup

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: CAT speedup
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:01:36 -0600

On  1-Mar-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| Yeah, it was basically this registration that I was talking about. In this
| case if ::cat was part of octave_base and then Fcat wouldn't need to be
| adapted for each new type.
|
| Of course octave_base would just give the nice error message that ::cat has
| not been implemeneted for this type. But, its presence in octave_base, then
| makes it easily overloadable.

I don't think the cat functions should be member functions.  Instead,
they should be handled like other binary operators so we can install
cat functions that can handle mixed types efficiently.  But we can't
do it with the current binary operator tables because the cat function
requires an additional piece of information (dim) not used by the
other binary ops.