Build problems with gcc-3.3.3 and Cygwin

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Build problems with gcc-3.3.3 and Cygwin
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 00:52:46 +0100

The build problem that Ben Diedrich and I found with the latest Cygwin and its default version, 3.3.3, of gcc has been submitted as a gcc bug.

Just to remind you: octave when built under the most recent version of Cygwin is SLOW; a factor 6-7 times slower than the octave-forge binary release for Windows. Both Ben and I have undone the problem by replacing gcc and its libraries by version 3.2. We have investigated all manner of compiler options to no avail. Nor can I see any change in gcc that might have done this.

From the point of view of the gcc developers, this is a highly unsatisfactory report because it is so vague - however gcc/mingw/Cygwin bug it is. If anybody has any idea how to pin it down further, I am all ears (electronic, of course).

In the mean time, a number of sites still have gcc-3.2 for Cygwin and Ben or I could provide you with tarballs, if necessary.

Paul T