Cygwin build sensitivity to gcc version

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Cygwin build sensitivity to gcc version
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:01:09 +0100

I posted the problem with the octave slow-up between gcc-3.2 and gcc-3.2.
The gcc maintainers came back, of course, with the request that octave be
profiled, that the two versions be compared and the a sample code fragment
be written that reproduces the slow-up.  I think that this might be useful
to do anyway, since the sensitivity is occurring exactly where octave
underperforms somewhat.

I am prepared to give profiling a go but will almost certainly need some
help and guidance.  Has anybody any experience of using the -pg option with
gprof?

Paul T