Re: new matlab features

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: new matlab features
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:11:10 -0800

Paul Thomas wrote:
<snip>
Graphics and 3-D Visualization

This, from my point of view and that of all my colleagues, is the true strength of Matlab, since version 11-ish. Not only are the graphics good but the GUI is excellent.
<snip>
3] There is perhaps something symptomatic in the octave graphics list; an anouncement that "a handle graphics project has started" stopped the list in its tracks.....

I see tremendous potential in the "octaviz" package that has been recently started which wraps VTK into octave (http://octaviz.sourceforge.net/). In my switch from Matlab to open source land, I had trouble finding something to make 3D scientific plots comparable to Matlab. In the end, I settled on VTK, so imagine my excitement to hear of the possibility of using all of VTK from within octave! Unfortunately, I am having trouble compiling octaviz and will wait for a later version (problem with cmake, I think).

My point is this: with gnuplot for 2D plotting and VTK for 3D visualization, I don't see any lack in octave's graphics abilities. It may not be as user friendly nor have the GUIs of Matlab, but it is fully capable of producing publication quality figures.

Jonathan