CGI scripts on www.octave.org broken

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: CGI scripts on www.octave.org broken
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:26:29 -0600

On 31-Mar-2004, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| It seems that all of the cgi scripts on www.octave.org are broken,
| as I can search the mailing list or use the web interface to the
| CVS...

Someone gained access to a number of systems in the department and
installed root kits on them.  One of the systems that was hit was the
one running octave.org.  I've moved most of the services to another
backup server, but have not had time to fix everything yet.

One service that will probably not return is cvspserver access to the
anonymous cvs archive.  Instead, we will probably use ssh with an
empty passphrase to access the anonymous cvs account.  I'm not sure
exactly what method was used to gain access to the systems, but I've
seen reports about cvspserver being a problem, so I'd prefer to
eliminate it.