Re: fopen rb

From: Alois Schloegl
Subject: Re: fopen rb
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 19:31:21 +0200

Paul Kienzle wrote:

It seems the default open mode for files in matlab on
Windows changed from text mode in 1994 to binary
mode today.  We are defaulting to text mode.  Also,
we do not mention 'b' and 't' flags in the help text.

The attached (untested) patch changes the default
open mode and updates the documentation.  Hopefully
this won't be a problem for any of the 14000+ users who
have downloaded the windows binary when we change it.

I'm not thrilled to have a different default from the POSIX
interface --- it will surprise C programmers.  Having a
different default from Matlab will surprise a different set
of users.  Maybe we could warn if neither 't' nor 'b' are
specified?  I'm not too thrilled about that either.

Paul Kienzle <address@hidden>
    * file-io.cc (fopen_mode_to_ios_mode):  Default to binary mode.
    * file-io.cc (Ffopen): Document 't' and 'b' mode flags.

Your patch conflicts with my efforts to maintain compatibility with Octave.
Especially it breaks compatibilty of http://BIOSIG.SF.NET in some application cases. Because, I assume that these are rare applications or use Matlab anyway, it should be ok if you go ahead with this.

I'll do the required changes in my code, but I also ask you to make sure that a new version of Octave4Windows is available soon. It should accept the 't' flag, currently it does not.

Alois