Re: Octave Compiler And Octave Interpreter Source Doku

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: Octave Compiler And Octave Interpreter Source Doku
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:07:29 +0200

Daprès Paul Thomas <address@hidden> (le 27/05/2004):
> George Almasi is communicative until you ask for a copy of the Majic
> source.  This is true for all his collaborators and his thesis advisor
> too.  Majic is said to be the basis for the just-in-time compiler of
> Matlab R13.  The only documentation I could find on the JIT was a
> technical note on what it does and does not do.  It is an active
> research topic at Mathworks - they have been hiring for this work.

What, I got a copy of the source code off I can't remember which website
in January this year. However, the problem is that the codes LICENSE doesn't
seem to be GPL compatiable. An extract

  The UI grants you (hereafter, Licensee) a license to use the Software
  for academic, research and internal business purposes only, without a
  fee.  Licensee may distribute the binary and source code to third
  parties provided that the copyright notice and this statement appears
  on all copies and that no charge is associated with such copies.

Are commerical entities using GPL code a commerical use or is that an
internal business purpose? Hard to say, and it probably should be
interpreted by the person in the license which is David Padua
(address@hidden). The clause of the license that really makes me think
it isn't GPL compatiable is

  Any Licensee wishing to make commercial use of the Software should
  contact the UI, c/o Research and Technology Management Office
  address@hidden, to negotiate an appropriate license for such
  commercial use.  Commercial use includes (1) <snip> (2) distribution
  of the binary code or source code to third parties that need it to
  utilize a commercial product sold or licensed by or on behalf of
  Licensee.

> I think that you will have to do this job from scratch, using Almasi's
> thesis as a basis (perhaps!).  I think that you can be encouraged that
> he did the type inferenceing, the interpreter and the JIT for his
> doctoral thesis - thus, a good compiler, including type inferenceing,
> should be possible for a masters.

I'd check with the people suggested in the LICENSE of the version of
the code I have first about their interpretation of inclusion in a GPL
software. I'll send the tar-ball of the code off-line

BTW, I couldn't get the code to compile when I tried a little in January.

Regards
David

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary