Visualisation applications and Octave.

From: Ole Jacob Hagen
Subject: Visualisation applications and Octave.
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 23:13:44 +0200

Hi.

We are making graphics functionality in Octave, that should be compatible with the graphic functionality which can be found in the application that we cannot mention by name....:-)
Our work can be found in http://oplot.sourceforge.net

We are still using oset, oget, oplot, oline, osurf,oimage,opatch and so on, but we would really want to use set, get, plot, line, surf, patch instead. This would mean that m-files to the application, which we cannot mention here can also be used within Octave.

So, John...Is it possible to remove the builtin set-command?

We will put design documents and other documents about Oplot at http://oplot.sourceforge.net shortly.

We can also say that we have found a design that can be used by other visualisation application, that wants to use set,get,plot commands.

We have actually splitted Oplot into two major modules, which is:
Props-module
Graphics factory as singleton.
Using internal callbacks, which all visualisation application can "connect" to.

Oplot-modules:
Plotting library + Qt-based widget.
Plotting-classes is attached to some determined Props-object.
For example: Browse through cvs-web. Look at Figure-class and Axes-class in Props, and OpDocManager and OpSceneManager-class in Oplot-src.

Our intention when deciding to implement a visualisation application to Octave, was to ensure compatibility and that other visualisation applications could use the Props-package.

What would be even better is that Props packages is either included in Octave-core or Octave-sourceforge. This would have a big impact regarding to make other visualisation applications to Octave, since Props-package is already in Octave-API.

What do you think?
I will send a new email when Oplot is ready for release.
We will have a feature test next friday, where a test-script should run successfully in Octave with Octave.

Interested parties can ask for this test-script, which completes the 2D functionality for Chemometrics. Take a look at http://www.scicraft.org as well, since Oplot is a related project.

Cheers,

Ole J.