Re: Octave and Windows

From: Ole Jacob Hagen
Subject: Re: Octave and Windows
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 14:04:40 +0200

Hi, again.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I believe that Cygwin is included in octave-2.1.50a-inst.exe as well..

Should Octave run in Windows without Cygwin?
An answer here is very important, since it depends on how we shall make Oplot.
Cygwin or Native Win32 application, it already supports Linux.

Any comments?

John? Andy? Paul?

Cheers,

Ole J.

Paul Thomas wrote:

Ole Jacob Hagen wrote:

Hi.

Is there any plans to make Octave work in Windows without Cygwin?
What is the progression of this project?

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/octave/octave-2.1.50a-inst.exe?download already has the property that you are enquiring about and more than satisfies people who want nothing more than a free M****b to run under Windows. It does, however, presently lack the GNU development tools and so extensibility, using mkoctfile. The installation is brutally simple and works every time. I have not seen any performance degradation running under Windows or Cygwin/Windows, relative to Linux on the same machine, although I confess that I have not thrashed the interface to the OS.

It strikes me that a script to automatically pull the equivalent to 2.1.50a out of the current release and package it up in a Windows installer would be an excellent idea. It would also be nice to have development packages and the various add-on libraries bundled up as well - see Paul Kinzle's wiki http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?WindowsPackageDesign .

Should this be something to strive for?

Cheers,

Ole J.