Re: getstruct, setstruct, etc.

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: getstruct, setstruct, etc.
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 16:47:54 -0400

On Jul 21, 2004, at 4:21 PM, Andy Adler wrote:

I'm in the process of getting a project to work on both Matlab and
Octave (a medical imaging toolkit: eidors3d.sf.net)

I've noticed that Matlab's structure functions work quite differently
than those of octave. The problem is that the octave-forge function does
not allow one to access deeply nested subfields easily.

QUESTION:
Is anyone feel strongly about changing the octave-forge functions
to be closer to Matlab?

I would prefer it, but getfield/setfield are used elsewhere in octave-forge,
so make sure they don't break.

You should probably keep the old versions around but rename them
to make it easier for those who depend on the existing  behaviour in
their private scripts.

Maybe put up a 'deprecated' warning the first time they are used
so that we can eventually get rid of them?

QUESTION#2:
Matlab claims that GETFIELD is deprecated in favour of "dynamic
field names". Does anyone know what the *$#@ that is?

x(i,j).(name)

This works in octave.

Paul Kienzle