Re: @ ( ARG_LIST ) STATEMENT syntax

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: @ ( ARG_LIST ) STATEMENT syntax
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 09:57:14 +0200

Why not make anonymous function handles be created in the class
octave_fcn_inline. It would still have all of the features of a
function handle, but you'd also be able to run Fformula on it to
recover the formula used. At the moment there is no way to find
out this information once it is set.

Cheers
David

Daprès John W. Eaton <address@hidden> (le 06/08/2004):
> On  4-Aug-2004, I wrote:
>
> | I started working on the
> |
> |   @ ( ARG_LIST ) STATEMENT
> |
> | syntax.  It is not as simple as I originally thought.
>
> And then continued to explain some troubles in adding this feature.
> Although I still don't like this syntax very much, it turns out I was
> a bit too quick to condemn it as completely unworkable for Octave.  In
> my initial attempt to add the new construct to parse.y, I was putting
> the new non-terminal for anonymous function handles in the wrong
> place.  Inserting it in a more reasonable spot in the grammar results
> in only (!?) 76 additional shift/reduce conflicts, all due to
> conflicts with the gplot syntax, so I hope that these will be
> eliminated when we excise that from the primary parser.  Anyway, I've
> checked in some changes to the CVS archive that will allow you to
> define anonymous function handles now.
>
> jwe

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary