Re: MATLAB load/save changes

From: Teemu Ikonen
Subject: Re: MATLAB load/save changes
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 15:18:13 +0300

On 18/08/04 14:15, Quentin Spencer wrote:
> I'm not sure whether to report this as a bug or just as an FYI to the
> maintainers, so I'm posting it to both. Back in March, John sent out a
> list of new features listed as new in the then-upcoming MATLAB 7. I've
> just run into a load/save incompatibility that wasn't in that list.
> Trying to load a file saved in MATLAB 7, I got an error. In the
[...]
> It looks like it's all documented--they are using gzip compression on
> each variable.

Since the development version of Octave is starting to support integer
datatypes, maybe the mat5 code needs some revising anyway. It seems that at
the moment writing and reading of all the Matlab number types from int8 to
double are supported, but everything appears as doubles when read into an
Octave array. Since I often work with largish integer matrices with low
dynamic range, I'd really appreciate the memory and disk space savings
coming from a full read/write/in memory support of integers. Do the people
who are implementing the integer datatypes have plans of implementing

Teemu