Re: started work on new version of LAPACK

From: Russell Standish
Subject: Re: started work on new version of LAPACK
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2004 08:44:24 +1100

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 12:56:54PM -0500, Piotr Luszczek wrote:

> >| - support for threading (OpenMP, pthreads, etc.)
> >
> >Can you give some more details about what this would provide?

We are using a vendor supplied OpenMP enabled LAPACK with Octave right
now, and it gives a definite performance boost. This is one distinct
advantage Octave has over Matlab, as one can easily alternative
libraries when one has source code. So if you open source an OpenMP
Lapack, it'll definitely be used.

> >| - 64-bit addressing
> >
> >This would be useful.  There is some work underway to allow Octave to
> >handle >2GB arrays.  I have been wondering what the correct solution
> >is for the problem of calling LAPACK routines when we have 64-bit
> >ints.  I think the current patches assume that any Fortran code has
> >been compiled such that all INTEGER data is 8 bytes.
>
> We're thinking of some sort of wrapping around existing 32-bit BLAS
> just to get a clean 64-bit interface without any assumptions about
> compiler flags.

In our 64 bit Octave project, we simply assume that all Fortran integers are
64 bits. I don't think we would make use of a specific 64 bit
interface, as we need to be able to link to alternative vendor
optimised Lapacks.

may safely ignore this attachment.

A/Prof Russell Standish                  Director
High Performance Computing Support Unit, Phone 9385 6967, 8308 3119 (mobile)
UNSW SYDNEY 2052                         Fax   9385 6965, 0425 253119 (")
Australia                                address@hidden