Re: cell behavior

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: cell behavior
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2005 10:29:07 +0100

Daniel J Sebald wrote:

Is the following proper behavior of cell assignments?  (2.1.64)

octave:124> C = cell(2,1)
C =

{
 [1,1] = [](0x0)
 [2,1] = [](0x0)
}

octave:125> C(2) = []
C =

{
 [1,1] = [](0x0)
}

It could be interpretted two ways, but my intuition would be that C should remain just as it already is.

I have an iterative search that some times comes up empty. (I realize it is possible to fix this with a conditional "isempty".)

Dan

Dan,

This is intentional. The equivalent for a matrix might be

octave:1> M = rand(2,2)

M =

 0.402375  0.721572
 0.164786  0.040139

octave:2> M(:,2) = []

M =

 0.40238
 0.16479

Assigning a part of a matrix or cell array to the empty matrix has the effect of deleting that part of the matrix. Matlab v7sp1 gives the same result

>> C = cell(2,1)

C =

    []
    []

>> C(2) = []

C =

   {[]}

Octave and matlab also agree for the version "C{2} = []" which assigns an empty matrix rather than deletes the row. Maybe this is what you wanted to write..

Regards
David

Motorola CRM +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary