Re: Reprise: external pager quitting kills standard error

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: Reprise: external pager quitting kills standard error
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 23:15:38 -0700

John W. Eaton wrote:

  octave:1> page_output_immediately = 1
  page_output_immediately = 1
  octave:2> bogus
  error: `bogus' undefined near line 2 column 1
  octave:3> ones (1000,10)
  warning: connection to external pager (pid = 4090) lost --
  warning: attempting to finish pending computations...

  octave:3> bogus

I am typing 'q' to exit the pager as soon as the first page is
displayed.  If I page forward to the end then back to the beginning
(or anywhere) and then quit, things seem to work normally.  It is only
when the connection to the pager is lost in this way that I see the
error.

Still not here (linux):

octave:1> page_output_immediately = 1
octave:2> bogus
error: `bogus' undefined near line 2 column 1
octave:2> ones (1000,10)
warning: connection to external pager (pid = 18655) lost --
warning: attempting to finish pending computations...
warning: broken pipe

warning: broken pipe
octave:2> bogus
error: `bogus' undefined near line 2 column 1
octave:2>

On Sparc/Solaris8 (displaying on the same linux box):

octave:1> page_output_immediately = 1
octave:2> bogus
error: `bogus' undefined near line 2 column 1
octave:2> ones (1000,10)
warning: broken pipe
warning: connection to external pager (pid = 24189) lost --
warning: attempting to finish pending computations...
octave:3> bogus
error: `bogus' undefined near line 3 column 1
octave:3>

(The difference here is that broken pipe message is the first one)

I will work to the other building where Sun is, and see if I get
any difference running it on CDE...

So yes, there does seem to be a bug here.

jwe

Dmitri.