Re: Reprise: external pager quitting kills standard error

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Reprise: external pager quitting kills standard error
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 12:00:53 -0500

On 10-Feb-2005, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:

| I played more with this and it is erratic on my computer(s).
| Sometimes the same sequence produces the bug and sometimes it
| does not. Once I managed to reproduce the bug with repetitive
| repeat of the same sequence withing the same octave
| session, but it happened only ones, usually if I do not
| see the bug withing the session, I cannot trigger it.
| I also tried to strace octave (strace octave 2> octave.strace)
| and in the strace log I always see "warning: broken pipe" and
| "error: `bogus' undefined near..." which I guess means I never
| trigger the bug under strace.

Perhaps it is related to printing something to stderr from the signal
handler.  Maybe we should not be doing that.  OTOH, I don't see a
simple fix that will allow the same information to be provided to the
user.  Perhaps instead of printing messages in the handler (by way of
the handler stored in the octave_child_list object), we could queue
functions to be called when the next prompt is printed?