Re: gset sends binary plot data to stdout

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: gset sends binary plot data to stdout
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:56:44 -0700

I am transferring the discussion to maintainers list.
It seems out of place on the bug list.
Please adjust CC accordingly.

Quentin Spencer wrote:
Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:

How about the following changes then?  I think this will eliminate
problems with automatic_replot, since it completely eliminates that
variable.  The higher-level plotting functions now issue explicit
replot commands.  The lower level ones never do.  So we should get the
desired mostly-Matlab-compatible behavior.  If people are using the
lower-level plotting commands, then they should know what to do,
because gnuplot also requires explicit replot commands.

Comments?

I guess it would take some getting used to, but I personally prefer
not to have automatic replots at all. The data I am dealing with
often very large and plots take few seconds. So if I forgot to
set axes labels and title before plotting the data, I would
have to endure multiple replots...

Good point. I haven't tried plots with large amounts of data in octave for a while, but I remember it being slow. It seemed to me at the time that a big cause of slowness was transfering data by ascii files to gnuplot. Is anyone familiar enough with gnuplot development to know whether there is interest in supporting other ways of transferring data?

Development version of gnuplot (4.1) has binary data support for 2d
plotting... But anyway it looks like a long shot to me.

Dmitri.