Re: retaining interpreter when running script from command line

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: retaining interpreter when running script from command line
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2005 06:52:32 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Mar 2005, John W. Eaton wrote:

> How about the attached changes?  With them, you do things like
>
>   octave --eval CODE                   # eval CODE, exit
>   octave --persist --eval CODE         # eval CODE, go interactive
>   octave doit.m                        # eval file, exit
>   octave --persist doit.m              # eval file, go interactive
>   octave --eval CODE doit.m            # eval CODE, file, exit
>   octave --persist --eval CODE doit.m  # eval CODE, file, go interactive

I really like this. It makes octave really flexible. From a
"marketing" perspective, these features are unavailable in the
competing brand, because the license verification times make this
kind of invocation take too long.

> Finally, should we also warn about using more than one --eval option?
> Currently, only the last one will be evaluated and no warning will be
> issued.

Perl will concatenate the strings (adding whitespace) before evaluation
    $ perl -e'print 2+' -e'2'
    4
Could octave do this? Would it make sense?
--
Andy Adler