Re: mkoctfile at Octave command prompt?

From: Todd Neal
Subject: Re: mkoctfile at Octave command prompt?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:46:01 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:
I've now seen several instances of people thinking that they should
run mkoctfile at the Octave prompt instead of the shell prompt.
Perhaps this is partly because Matlab has a "mex" command.

Does anyone have strong opinions about whether we should or should not
provide an Octave command called mkoctfile?

I see it as a possibly useful addition. I haven't looked at the particular Octave internals but I believe at one point someone mentioned that time stamps are checked when a function is called, so a compile from within octave would make the next function invocation reload the newly compiled .oct.

This would prevent the only possible downside that I see of a .oct being compiled and then the old one being used. Perhaps automatically loading any .oct after compilation from within Octave would make sense as well. There are probably not many times that someone would compile from within Octave and then not use the object that was compiled.

Todd