Re: mkoctfile at Octave command prompt?

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: mkoctfile at Octave command prompt?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:56:50 -0600

John W. Eaton wrote:

I've now seen several instances of people thinking that they should
run mkoctfile at the Octave prompt instead of the shell prompt.
Perhaps this is partly because Matlab has a "mex" command.

Does anyone have strong opinions about whether we should or should not
provide an Octave command called mkoctfile?

jwe
I can't think of any good reasons why not. While compiling from inside octave seems a little counterintuitive to me, I can see a potential advantage. When debugging .m files, I alternate between editor and octave windows, but when debugging .oct files, I alternate between editor, compiler window, and octave window. In the compiler window, I have to wait until the compile is complete before switching windows to start a debugging command (I realize that there are probably simpler ways if I ever got around to fully learning everything that emacs can do). With a debugging command like "mkoctfile <file>; debugscript", there is one fewer windows and no waiting for the compile to complete.