Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 01:02:47 -0500

On 15-Mar-2005, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:

| John W. Eaton wrote:
| > Bonus points if you can figure out how to do the right thing for
| > "replot;" (I could not).
| >

| I am not sure about the "right" part, but what about renaming replot.oct
| to __replot__.oct and have a replot.m that pretty much just call __replot__

The "replot" function is marked as a "rawcommand" because you can
write things like

  gplot "sin(x)"
  replot "cos(x)"

and the second line is added to the plot.  This is how "hold on" is
implemented (when the hold state is "on", Octave issues a replot
command with the new data instead of a plot command).

The new gnuplot command parser (in src/DLD-FUNCTIONS/gplot.l) is
simpler than the original YACC-based parser that was embedded in
Octave's core language parser.  I welcome patches to improve it, but I
don't plan to spend much time with it myself.  I expect that it will
eventually be distributed as a package separate from the core Octave.
For now, it seems simpler to avoid using a semicolon on lines that use
"replot".