Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 14:15:30 -0500

On 16-Mar-2005, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:

| I would think that perhaps new replot could check for
| arguments and if there is one print a warning:
|
| "Arguments are ignored. Use __replot__ for raw gnuplot command."

In 2.9.x you will just get a usage message for replot.  In 2.1.x, you
will get the following warning:

  warning: Passing arguments to replot is deprecated and.
  warning: will not be allowed in a future version of Octave.
  warning: If you must have this functionality, use
  warning: __gnuplot_replot__ instead.

| I would not be using old form for 2.9.x series -- if it gives a
| warning, people would ignore it. If it makes an error, people will
| fix scripts.
|
| I do not have strong opinion either way about the 2.1.x

For now, I have both 2.1.x and 2.9.x giving warnings.  I won't change
2.1.x again.  By 3.x, we can remove the warnings and the compatibility
functions so old code will just get error messages.

| About the naming scheme. Since people may want to use a similar system
| for plplot, grace and what's not, perhaps it is nice to
| have a plotting system identifier embedded in the name:
|
| __gnuplot__replot__ ?
| __GP__replot__ ?

OK, I went with names of the form

  __gnuplot_plot__

for plot, splot, raw, replot set, and show.

I also removed the "set" and "show" commands (they have printed
warnings for years now, telling you to use gset and gshow).  So now we
can start thinking about implementing a Matlab-compatible set function.

| Of course since gnuplot is the main plotting system, that may
| be redundant.  :)

For now, perhaps, but I don't see that gnuplot is the best solution
for all our plotting needs, especially for interactive graphics.  Part
of the problem is that you have to send commands through a pipe and
put the data in a file (I know, you are supposed to be able to mix
data in with the commands, but it causes trouble with replot).  But
there are bigger problems too.  For example, you can't easily query
the internal state of gnuplot or temporarily modify the sate.  The new
"push" option for "set term" is good, but this kind of functionality
needs to exist for all options.