Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp

From: Dirk Eddelbuettel
Subject: Re: Octave 2.9.0 available for ftp
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 20:38:13 -0600

On 16 March 2005 at 08:58, Quentin Spencer wrote:
| David Bateman wrote:
|
| > On another point I can't see a UMFPACK rpm anywhere, and so if there
| > is someone who won't to make such a package, I'm sure there'll be lots
| > of octave users that would be very happy.
|
| One more thing: does anyone know where I can find the build scripts that
| are used to create the Debian packages for this? That could be very
| helpful to me as a starting point to package this as an RPM.

As John said, these are of course in the Debian sources. Our way of doing
this involves one compressed diff with all changes to pristine upstream
versions; so just hunt down a recent octave2.1 diff from a Debian mirror and
apply it to the (expanded) Octave tarball you already have.

That said, it is pretty Debian specific in the tools it used etc pp, but
maybe you can adopt one or two of the little tricks adopted over the years.
Be warned, though, that debian/rules is messy. It sort-of just evolved and
never got a rewrite I maintained it.

It is now in the hands of a maintainer group headed by Rafael, so the long
overdue rewrite and cleanup may actually happen.

Cheers, Dirk

PS For Atlas, you should definitely talk to Camm -- he is very
knoweledgeable, and has (or had?) a ton of patches that are (were?) not in
upstream.

--
Better to have an approximate answer to the right question than a precise
answer to the wrong question.  --  John Tukey as quoted by John Chambers