Re: new branch in CVS archive

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: new branch in CVS archive
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 11:19:50 -0500

On  1-Apr-2005, David Bateman <address@hidden> wrote:

| Shouldn't the default behavior for now be to have this disabled by
| default, at least till its tested a bit more? It seems without either
| --enable-64 or --disable-64 the default is to enable it....

I can switch the default when the branch is merged.  I ran the current
configure script on an Itanium system with --disable-64 and it prints

  64-bit array dims and indexing:     false

at the end of the run, so it seems to work for me.

| I'd also suggest including the "long long" class as a possible index,
| since there is no reason to exclude this codes use on 32-bit platforms
| even if it will be significantly slower....

Sure, I can include long long easily enough, but for 64-bit indexing
to really work, don't you also need 64-bit pointers?  Are there any
32-bit systems (what would that mean, 32-bit ints only?) that have
64-bit pointers, 32-bit ints, 32-bit long ints, and 64-bit long long
ints?