Re: Zipped octave file formats and octave core and default file formats

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: Zipped octave file formats and octave core and default file formats
Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 10:46:22 -0500

Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

David Bateman wrote:

3) Change the meaning and probably the name of octave_core_file_format and default_save_format so that they are the options to use to save rather than a file format. That is "binary" becomes "-binary" and zipped files might be defined like "-binary -z" in the core and default file options variable (whatever they are called)

Yes.

Since those variables normally used in things like startup files,
I would expect the incompatibility impact would be minimal.

I agree with this as well. I suspect that any user who knows enough to have set these variables to something (likely in .octaverc as Dmitri suggests) won't be too inconvenienced by making minor updates, and the changes will be more or less transparent to every one else.