Re: Type estimating Octave Compiler

From: Lars Arvestad
Subject: Re: Type estimating Octave Compiler
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 09:58:01 +0200

David Bateman wrote:

The fact is I see the JIT as much more important than the compiler. In matlab, compiled code has a different license status than the original code and can be run without a license to matlab, and to me that is the essential use of the matlab compiler... However as octave doesn't have this issue, if the JIT can be made to give essentially the same speed as the compiled code, then the compiled versions have much less interest.

As a Octave user, I don't quite understand your reasoning. I have developed a numerically intensive little research application under Octave and during development I never felt speed was an issue. When doing serious evaluation of the application, however, speed became an issue and I was dreaming of having an Octave compiler. I guess much of my problems would go away with a JIT too, but that sounds much harder to develop and would not allow me to do fun stuff such as produce a library, from Octave code, and link it to another application.

My vote does not weigh much since I don't contribute code to Octave, but I would like to voice my opinion that a Octave compiler released soon is much more valuable than a JIT later.

BTW, thanks for all your great coding efforts!

   Lars

--
Stockholm Bioinformatics Center and Dept Num Analysis and Comp Science
http://www.nada.kth.se/~arve