Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge packaging

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge packaging
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 11:23:14 -0500

| Notice also that the octave-gpc package in Debian is in the contrib
| section, not in main.

I don't think that where the package is stored in the collection makes
any difference.
Back to my original question: does Debian distribute octave-forge sources with the non-free stuff included, even though it doesn't get packaged with Octave-forge?

Clearly there are different opinions about whether using non-free things that link to octave is allowed at all, but it would be easier for me if we just created an octave-forge package without the non-free tree and perhaps made it separate. It may well be that Red Hat lawyers won't object, but I'd just as soon not have to run my package past the legal department to get it into Fedora Extras. For what it's worth, while Red Hat shares the same legal concerns about these things as the Debian project, I sometimes get the impression from following their mailing lists that they are even more cautious because being a corporation (based in the U.S., which adds some additional liabilities WRT encryption, etc.) makes you a more likely lawsuit target (at least that seems to be the perception).

-Quentin