Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge packaging

From: Dmitri A. Sergatskov
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge packaging
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 11:03:37 -0600

Paul Kienzle wrote:

Personal views aside, I'm content to remove any of my code from octave-forge if John believes it violates his license. That includes gcv since I'm responsible for putting it there. You will have to decide

I would argue again that only gcvsplf.f should go. I thought we agreed
that distributing the source to a program that uses proprietary library
does not violate GNU, but rather being "pretty useless in a Free world."
It is quite feasible that one can produce a free replacement for gcvsplf
based on the paper:

H.J. Woltring (1986), A FORTRAN package for generalized, cross-validatory
spline smoothing and differentiation. Advances in Engineering
Software 8(2):104-113 (U.K.).

- Paul

Dmitri.