64bit changes, compiler issues

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: 64bit changes, compiler issues
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 18:17:09 -0400

On 22-Apr-2005, Daniel Heiserer <address@hidden> wrote:

| did anybody compile octave with the recent 64bit
| changes enabled using gcc-4.0.0?
|
| gcc-4.0.0 uses gfortran (fortran95 compliant) instead
| of g77. gfortran can, by commandline option use 8-byte
| integers.
|
| I failed in even compiling gcc-4.0.0 on ia64 linux.

It is perhaps a bit premature to expect gfortran to compile Octave.
There is at least one bug that prevents it from compiling all the code
in Octave's libcruft directory.  I don't know the status of the -i8
option.

In any case, I have sucessfully built Octave with

  configure --enable-64 F77=ifort FFLAGS="-i8 -O"
  make

on an Itanium system (using the reference blas and lapack libraries,
so they were also compiled with ifort -i8).  So I think once gfortran
is in better shape, it should also be possible to use it to build a
64-bit capable version of Octave.

So, things are mostly working, but there are still some details to
work out, like how to deal with external blas and lapack, how to make
UMFPACK and COLAMD work, how to fix the binary file formats to support
64-bit dimensions, etc.