Re: save options handling

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: save options handling
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:00:56 +0200

Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

John W. Eaton wrote:

On 29-Apr-2005, Bill Denney wrote:

| As someone who is more of a user, I'd think that if I give any options | they would override the defaults, and it would be hard for me to debug if | there were other default options that took effect when I gave options. If | you keep the default options when specific options are used, it would be | helpful to at least give a warning that the other options were used.

I agree, I think that if options are supplied, the default options
should not be used.  Otherwise, I think we will have a lot of confused
users wondering why their files are compressed when they just
specified "-ascii".

I am wondering if instead of this "2-dimensional option space"
we would have just compressed options like that:

-text
-ztext
-binary
-zbinary

Perhaps it is not as elegant as David's plan, but it looks more
straightforward to me (and yes, supplied option override the
default).

This way was discussed a couple of weeks ago, and would have been much less invasive to implement, at the code of a doubling of the number of file formats.... The advantage of the currect technique is that all of the options "-zip", "-append", etc can be made default options....

D.

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary