Re: default ~/.octaverc template

From: Keith Goodman
Subject: Re: default ~/.octaverc template
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 11:31:03 -0700

On 4/29/05, John W. Eaton <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 29-Apr-2005, Keith Goodman wrote:
>
> | ## Set command-line prompt.
> | ##
> | ## PS1 = ">> ";
>
> Why would you want a prompt that doesn't give any additional useful
> information like line numbers, or tell you what program you are
> running?

I think the default Octave prompt is too long. But I'm not trying to
advocate a shorter one in  ~/.octaverc. I was trying to avoid an
example that used things like \# and \t since most users who need an
octaverc template won't know what they mean. Of course they also won't
know how to restore the default. I could show what the default is.

Or I could include

`\t'  The time.
`\d'  The date.
`\n'  Begins a new line by printing the equivalent of a carriage
return followed by a line feed.
`\s'  The name of the program (usually just octave).
`\w'  The current working directory.
`\W'  The basename of the current working directory.
`\u'  The username of the current user.
`\h'  The hostname.
`\H'  The hostname, up to the first `.'.
`\#'  The command number of this command, counting from when Octave starts.
`\!'  The history number of this command. This differs from `\#' by
the number of commands
     in the history list when Octave starts.
`\$' If the effective UID is 0, a #, otherwise a $.
`\nnn'  The character whose character code in octal is `nnn'.
`\\'  A backslash.

What do you use the line numbers for? In case you paste a mutli-line
code fragment at the prompt and want to see on which line it crashed?

My prompt is PS1 = "> ";

> | ## What is the maximum number of commands the history file should
> | ## contain? The default is 1024.
> | ##
> | ## history_size = 256;
>
> Why would you want to shorten the history list?

I think we should keep this one but increase it to 2048. And we should
dump the two below.