Re: packaging system

From: Søren Hauberg
Subject: Re: packaging system
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 17:53:00 +0200

John W. Eaton wrote:
On 15-Jun-2005, Søren Hauberg wrote:

| I'm really no expert on the subject of packaging systems, but it seems | to me that the largest problem with creating such systems, is to what | extend dependencies should be handled.

It would be good to have some dependency checking, but I'm not sure
that it really matters too much until we also have a way to
download and install packages from Octave (or using some other
script).
The implementation I linked to in another post earlier today does depency checking at installation time. It will check if the needed packages (but not external libraries) are installed. However, I don't think dependency checking at uninstallation time will be implemented as it seems a bit harder (more book-keeping is necesary).

/Søren