Re: manual translation

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: manual translation
Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2005 10:23:50 +0200

Jorge Barros de Abreu wrote:

Hi for All.

How I make to translate Octave Manual for Portuguese??

[]´s

You are going to have lots of troubles as the manual depends directly on the help strings of the functions and as octave no internationalization...... So what is likely to happen is that you'll translate a version of the manual, and the functions themselves will evolve and the manual will no longer be valid. Having the octave manual depend directly on the help strings of the functions avoids this issue as the text only needs changing in a single place and it is duplicated elsewhere...

I'd think the first step in doing a good job of a translation would be to make an patch for the internationalization of octave. This has been discussed a bit in the past, but no one wanted to do the work.. Check the mailing lists...

Regards
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary