Re: ITP: octave-2.1.71

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: ITP: octave-2.1.71
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2005 06:18:39 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 4 Jul 2005, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:

> James R. Phillips wrote:
> > OK, now that I have what looks like a working package with gcc 3.3.3, I
> > compiled with gcc 3.4.4.  It segfaults and dumps core at startup.  Um, it is
> > linked with unrecompiled lapack dll's (they were also compiled with gcc
> > 3.3.3).
> >  But that per se shouldn't be an issue, I don't think.
> >
> > So, how can I help you?  Use gdb in some fashion?  The binary is, of course,
> > stripped.
>
> We need to know what is the problem, so building with debugging turned
> on is needed.  Also try different grades of optimization, what do you
> use now, e.g. -O3?  Does it work with -O2 then, and so on.  There are
> several bugs in the optimizer, i.e. the unit-at-a-time stuff is breaking
> a lot of code, however this is not a bug, this is by design;)
> If it is a problem with the optimizer we will figure out which flag
> breaks the binary and report a bug.

This is the same issue as my question two weeks ago.

It seems that gcc-3.4 is at fault here, since all recent
2.1.x and 2.9.x versions give the same errors.

When not stripped, the octave binary gives
   # make install
   # octave
   warning: : Unrecognized variable construct `$
   ... [ many more ] ...
   warning: kpathsea: variable `O' references itself (eventually)
   ... [ many more ] ...
   Aborted (core dumped)

Andy
--