Re: Documentation

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: Documentation
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 14:41:23 -0400

On 13-Jul-2005, Bill Denney wrote:

| I like the way that this looks.  It would be nice to have this
| auto-generated and added to the main octave website for each version of
| octave (look at perldoc.perl.org for what I think would be a good way to
| make it look).

It is possible to convert automatically from Texinfo to HTML.

| A couple of things about the formatting:

The current output may not be so good, but that could be corrected.
We are currently using texi2html to convert Octave's documentation to
HTML, but I think we should consider switching to makeinfo now.  Back
in the day, makeinfo did not do a very good job of generating HTML
output, but that seems to be fixed, and the output can be customized
using a CSS file.  So it should be relatively simple to improve the
appearance of the generated files.