Re: --enable-auto-image-base linker option for Cygwin

From: James R. Phillips
Subject: Re: --enable-auto-image-base linker option for Cygwin
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:42:38 -0700 (PDT)

--- "John W. Eaton"  wrote:

> I can apply the following change if it solves a real problem.  Is
> there any disadvantage to making this change?

It is hard for me to characterize the problem as real, because I haven't seen
it on this build.  However, the design of the cygwin fork() is such that it
isn't able to rule out the possibility of dll address collisions, leading to
failure of the fork.  The change is such that it should reduce the probability
of such collisions.  At this point I would classify it as a beneficial change
to prevent a potential issue.

There is currently no downside to the change that I am aware of.  cgf has made
some changes to cygwin ld in the past week to eliminate what were some possible
downsides.

Would it be possible to also add this linker option to the set of default
options that are used for cygwin in the mkoctfile script?  It does not appear
to me that this configuration change will propagate into the makoctfile
defaults.

In any case, I think the way to handle this is to add the change to whatever
set of changes you are going to make for the next point release.  Please don't
think this is significant enough on its own to merit a new octave point
release.

Thanks,

Jim Phillips