Re: handle graphics

From: Shai Ayal
Subject: Re: handle graphics
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2005 20:51:11 +0200

 would like to sum up the ideas presented in this thread as I see them
up to now:

In order to present the idea we can think of the tree structure as a document.

Octave will maintain the document, i.e.  the whole handle graphics
tree. Octave will be responsible for the consistency of the tree, e.g.
check that property values are legal etc....  A graphics front (GF)
will have to be 3 things:

1. A "viewer": Given the document from Ocatve GF will display it.
2. An "editor", since it can change the document e.g. by using a mouse
to zoom-in which changes the limits property of the current axis. This
will have to be done through octave functions so that consistency will
be maintained.
3. A source of events, in the case of calling callbacks for UI objects.

So to make this work we need:
1 A way for thr GF to read the document -- duplicating it and sending
it over a socket will not be good since it could contain a large set
of data to be plotted. Shared memory seems the most natural, but I'm
not sure it quite works on cygwin.
2 A way for the GF to execute octave commands, either for changing
properties or for calling UI callback functions

I see two separate projects on the octave side of this:

1. the octave<->GF communication layer - care has to be taken that
this will work on all major platforms, e.g Linux/Unix, OSX, cygwin
2. maintaining the document. To me this is a huge and quite tedious
project -- mostly checking input arguments and such. references for
the document structure can be found at:
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/techdoc/infotool/hgprop/doc_frame.html
of course it can be implemented incrementally.

Shai