Re: MinGW build of octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: MinGW build of octave
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 22:04:29 +0200

Forgive me for being a nOOb, buy why are you working so hard to get cygwin
going under mingw?  It can't be the sjlj-speed-issue since rebuilding
cygwin's gcc is easier.  I am sure I am missing something.

MinGW stands for "minimalist Cygwin", and builds binaries that don't depend on cygwin.dll or in fact any external dlls except those you specify yourself. So I'm not building cygwin under mingw, but rather a Windows native version of octave. The cygwin version is most certainly not native as it depends on symbolic links, its own libraries, etc not normally available in Windows. So ultimately MinGW is a much better way to go than cygwin as it contains less cruft.

I also think you are mistaken on the amount of effort to rebuild cygwin gcc, since you not only have to rebuild cygwin gcc but all of the other libraries that octave depends on (cygwin.dll included). In fact you probably should rebuild everything in your cygwin install to avoid dll hell, with two versions of important libraries... Sorry, if MinGW is ultimately the better way to go I prefer to avoid that nightmare, and as an upside also avoid the sjlj slow-ups of cygwin builds with gcc 3.3 and 3.4

Cheers
David

Motorola Labs - Paris +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph) Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax) 91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

The information contained in this communication has been classified as: [x] General Business Information [ ] Motorola Internal Use Only [ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary